New and classic adventures for kids and adults alike in Central Florida
Sebring, FL (May 10, 2021) – With summer just around the corner it’s time to start planning for family vacations, and there’s nowhere better than Sebring, FL to keep kids happy and busy. Located just a two-hour drive from Orlando, Tampa and South Florida, this Central Florida destination is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a small-town escape with lots of outdoor activities. Offering a mix of new activities and family-friendly classics, the Sebring region has something for everyone to enjoy.
- Visit Sebring recently launched a GeoTour that consists of four geocaching GeoTrails: Ranch & Harvest, Parks & Recreation, Historic, and Art & Culture. On Sept. 25, 2021 a new Centennial GeoTrail will launch, celebrating the heritage of Sebring, Avon Park and Lake Placid, as well as 100 years of Highlands County.
- Taste the brand new Sips, Suds and Soda Trail highlighting craft beverages in the region, including a stop at the Sebring Soda & Ice Cream Works, where you can choose from more than 300 different flavors of sodas from all over the world, and 50 flavors of super-premium ice cream.
- Check out the recently renovated Children’s Museum of the Highlands
Classic family favorites:
- Glide along the water on an exhilarating airboat ride along Arbuckle Creek or in Lake Istokpoga. See wild alligators, birds, and other animals–if Mother Nature is willing!
- Enjoy a nature-filled day as you jog, skate or cycle through Highlands Hammock State Park.
- Prospect for over 130 gems and crystals at the Lost Mines of Atlantis Gem Mine and Rock Shop
- Bring your canoe or kayak and paddle along picturesque Arbuckle Creek from Lake Arbuckle to Lake Istokpoga. The diverse habitat includes cypress swamp, grass prairie, ranchlands, and oak hammock.
- Visit Archbold Biological Station, an active scientific resource for field study of the natural environment. Stop by for a self-guided nature tour or call ahead to schedule a tour.
- Let one of Sebring’s fishing captains take you where the trophy bass, speckled perch, bluegill, shell cracker, and warmouth are.
- Head to the observation tower then take a walk on the boardwalk at Lake Arbuckle located in the Avon Park Air Force Range. Be sure and check their weekly schedule online.
- Pick up a must-have citrus-themed souvenir and enjoy some fresh orange ice cream at Maxwell Groves.
- Tee off on the Citrus Golf thanks to the newly launched Citrus Golf Trail Summer Savings Passport
Notable 2021 family-friendly summer events:
Heartland Triathlon Youth Race: June 12-13
Motosurf & Motoskate – July 17-18
Bono Bilt Youth Wrestling – July 16-18
Lake Placid Caladium Festival (including the Car & Bike Show) – July 23-25
Local summer camps for kids:
Highlands County Tennis Association Summer Junior Camp: Weekly, June 1-July 30
The Grateful HeARTs for Youth Summer Camp week (Arts and crafts): June 1-4
Dragon’s Lair Super Summer Camp (Themed martial arts and activities): June 1-July 30
Junior Golf Camp: June 21-July 30 (Three separate weeks)